Uncategorized

Most Common Causes For House Fires

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!” As fun as that may sound in an upbeat, party song, it may not exactly be just as fun when that actually happens in real life. After all, when was it ever a good idea to put your house on fire, right? 

House fires are unfortunately a common occurrence. There are ways though on how it can be prevented. We have listed down some of the most common causes that start house fires, so let’s take a closer look at some of them below.

 

Electrical Short Circuit

When a power outlet is overloaded, a short circuit is highly likely to occur. It is said to be one of the main causes for a fire to break out in the house. What happens is that heat builds up because of the overloaded electrical current flow. When left unattended, it can lead to a spark and eventually break out into a fire.

To prevent this from happening, it’s important to ensure that you check your power outlets before using. Make sure also not to overload the socket of an extension cord.

 

Defective or Malfunctioning Electrical Products

Defective products have a higher chance of electrical failures, because of the low quality materials used. When an electrical product malfunctions, chances are it will lead to a short circuit, causing it to create a spark and then the next thing you know – there is fire!

This can be easily prevented, provided that you become mindful of the quality of your electrical appliances. Moreover, make sure that those appliances or gadgets that need maintenance get what they need to keep them safe from functioning effectively.

 

Smoking Materials

This may come from something as small as a cigarette butt, fire lighter, and a candle. When left unattended, especially for a long period of time, there is a higher risk for fire to spread in your household. It’s very important to use these things with caution, and do not, under any circumstances, leave them unattended. 

Do not place any of these items near anything that is consumable by fire such as clothing and wood, and put them out at the soonest time possible when not in use. If you are smoking, it is recommended to do so outside of your house to lessen the risk of a fire breaking out. 

 

Cooking

While cooking is a very important chore to do in the household, it’s also one of the most common causes of fire in homes, especially during the holidays when cooking appliances are running high. This may be due to leaving the stove unattended while running, or reactions of liquid spills and open flames. This is why it’s important to be extra careful when navigating your way in your kitchen. 

 

Overheating appliances and lights

Appliances and lights that are left open for a long time, especially when not in use, may overheat and eventually lead to a fire. It’s dangerous when they are left unattended so it’s best to use them with extra caution. If you need to go out of town and will be gone for days, it’s best to double check your switches and plugs and make sure that they are switched off before leaving.

 

Take extra protective measures against house fires with Fire Alarm Testing Inc. in the Bay Area

When it comes to fire prevention and safety, you’ve got Fire Alarm Testing Inc. as your partners in keeping your homes and neighborhood safe spaces for you and your loved ones. We can make arrangements to conduct a regular fire inspection to check-up on your fire alarm systems functionality, and our fire alarm monitoring runs 24/7, which can actually help save a lot of lives. This is particularly helpful when there is no one in the house; we are your extra pair of eyes. For any questions about our services and how we may help you, you may contact us by sending us an email or calling us at +1 (831) 247-9642.